Monday, July 9, 2012

Getting it Right

Sometimes when working on a piece for a client, you don't always quite hit the mark. The client can still be happy with the work and it goes to print and does all the things it should, but as the artist you know that there are elements of the piece that didn't quite live up to your expectations.

Mirumoto Mitoshi for Legend of the Five Rings, was one of those pieces for me. You can see the artwork that went to print on the card in my previous log post here. I had a bit of rare free time in my schedule recently and I wanted to see if I could try and recapture how I had originally seen this picture in my mind. So I spent another couple of hours playing around with the piece and this is what I came up with...


Mirumoto Mitoshi - redux
I think it was very beneficial for me to spend the extra time, I nutted out a few things I was having trouble with and learned a bit in the process, and got a stronger finished image to put into my portfolio. I usually think it's better to call a piece done and move onto the next rather than re-visit a piece, but I think the exception is when you continue to carry the same mistakes through future work. I think in that case it is the right time to work through a problem before you move on, this time with the right tools to use in future work.

Thanks for reading, don't forget to check out more of my work at my website www.shawawa.com and please contact me if you think my work might suit your project!

No comments:

Post a Comment